Callaway Apex Pro Forged Irons
The Apex Pro is a technology driven iron at heart. The face material is actually the Carpenter 455 material Callaway uses in their X Hot Fairway Woods. Inspired by the general shape and function of the 2013 model of Callaways X Forged iron, there is one important difference however: The face of the Apex Pro is 17 percent thinner than that of the X Forged. This thin face places Apex Pro in a new flexible-face category, composed of irons intended to provide additional ball speed because of added trampoline effect in the face.
Callaway, after extensive research and testing with its staff professionals, decided to bypass aggressive grooves in the Apex Pro. The stock version of the Apex Pro iron contains grooves that create only a moderate amount of spin. In general, less spin means higher trajectory and extra carry distance. More spin meant just the opposite. Low-handicap amateurs face the same dilemma as pros, so Callaway decided to bypass aggressive grooves in the Apex Pro. Test results from 5-iron testing with Callaway touring pros: Less spin produced a higher trajectory with as much as 8 or 9 additional yards of carry and upwards of 13 yards in total distance.
The premium forged body gives Apex Pro a look and feel that was once reserved only for players irons. But ultimately, what makes Apex Pro a first in golf is that it combines forging with technology and performance to arrive at a forged iron that is very long and also has the performance characteristics of a forged iron, in terms of the soft, responsive feel and the look that you get from a forging.
Callaway Apex Pro Forged Irons Features:
1. Thin 455 Carpenter Steel Face Insert increases ball speeds 1mph to 2mph for more distance
2. 1020 Forged Carbon Steel body delivers soft, responsive feel
3. Tungsten weighted inserts in the sole of the 3-5 long irons produce a lower CG, higher launch angles and maximum forgiveness
4. New grooves designed to reduce spin compared to previous models for noticeably higher ball flights that have less tendency to balloon
5. New True Temper XP95 steel shaft offering delivers high launch angles with a controlled ball flight for premium performance in a lightweight offering
6. UST Recoil is a lightweight graphite shaft offering with higher flex points, resulting in great feel and workability